Friday, 18 December 2015

Last Minute Reading

Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell
sometimes I read a book just because of the nice cover
or the simple and intriguing title.
Eleanor & Park is one of the example.
I decided to read it shortly after I saw the simple cover
and I wonder what is going on between E & P
until their story could be turned into a novel.

I am curious with E & P story
just because both of the main characters
are facing their back towards us, the reader.

somehow the cover reminds me with my favorite
romance story of all time, 500 Days of Summer.

The Smiths
connects protagonists everywhere.
I am not an avid reader
but I do enjoy reading.
I am not trying to make a review
of this heart-touching-sweet-and-lovely story.
this post is for sharing my impression
of Rowell's best selling novel.

I spent 4 days to finish this book.
it took so many hours of me wondering about many things
because of the way Rowell telling the story in her darling novel.
I think and reflect about the parents function in children life;
about the essence of loving and being loved;
about the needs to accept our selves;
about the ugly truths we have to face as we live
and how we adapt to them.

I snapshot some parts of Rowell's pleasing novel,
which makes me stop reading for a while,
to digest her dearly yet mind blowing sentences.


this is page is crazy! super sweet and precisely describe
how it feels to be far away and near a person we like so much.
this is my very favorite page
I am happy when reading the whole sentences in this page.
extremely wonderful work, Rowell.
I love you and your strong feelings.


you are my favorite person of all time.
I do use this kind of sentence to say how I like a person so much.
geez Rowell, you robbed my heart.



this is really cute, the way Eleanor describes Park gradually.
at first she said that cliche word, kind,
luckily in the end, she said you make me feel like a cannibal
which I think appealing and unusual.


...
I ran out of words to say how darling this part is.
I've never really missed anybody but you.
this sentence I have used a lot.


another maximum cuteness part.
well, I think Rowell really good at capturing
the cheesiness of first love
while at the same time she reminds us
about the way a person can be so fond of another one.
the best part is, Rowell does this not in dramatic exaggerate manner.


serendipity, the nicest thing in the universe had ever done for her.
I smile shamefully at this part.
the thought, that universe has something to do
with all those coincident meeting with the favorite person,
can be still happen when we are grown-up.
somehow I really impressed with Rowell ability
to capture every little details and typical feelings
of a human, who feels love and being loved.
I wonder Rowell is a highly self-conscious person.


I never thought someone can be able to know
he would like a song before he has heard it.
I can't imagine how does this thing happen,
not until Rowell used this kind of analogy
to tell how it feels to like someone so much
when we just barely know him.
I think it is just the same like me liking this book
before I read any text in it.
I like this book as soon as I read the title.
I like you as soon as I know your name.


what a touchy part.
I re-read these sentences for some times
and somehow I think human memories
can't be that good and reliable enough
to keep the sensation we would to feel repeatedly. huft.


sigh. at this point I think Rowell
was ever visiting my mind.
trying not to care, but cannot.
nothing else matter when you like me back.
I don't like you (but I do crazily into you!)


I feel the urge to squeeze Park's dad
at the moment I read this part.
that is why you like her.
yeah, when we make someone
as our most favorite person on Earth,
never forget the very first reason
why we like that person :')
people might change, but I believe
there is that one quality of a person
which won't change no matter what.
I usually call it as virtue.
even in the cruelest human beings,
everyone has one, hasn't it?


your mother is sorry.
this sentence hit me.
I wonder how many Asian adults
who has ever said sorry to their offspring.
moreover, I never imagine
there might be parents who say sorry.
this is something beyond my imagination.
I think Park's Asian parents be able to apologize
because Rowell, the author, is not Asian.
she might hardly know exactly
how an Asian parents behave.

I laugh as I read the last sentence.
I enjoy Rowell's way to portray precisely
the intense feeling in humorous if-clause-sentence.
she is super witty.


yeah, I strongly agree with Rowell's point here.
there are things or person or events which won't make
our discomfort feels better,
but it is alright rather than our feelings getting worse.

the interaction between E & P
shows me how a person who is madly deeply in love
automatically can accept the partner for whoever s/he is.
this is not an easy thing to do, esp. when we know a person
for quite long time when there is no more stages on the mystery play.
reading this part, it seems like I was reminded to try my best
practice what I preached, loving unconditionally,
whether to my family, or even strangers.


the most famous quotable sentence of E & P.
she looks like art.
thanks Rowell, for making every woman in the world
feels precious in their subjective uniqueness.


it is always our choice to choose
if we want to leave of stay
in any kind of relationship.
I believe those who deserve "the stay"
is always a worth the choice person.

to sum up, I might say E & P is the best book I've read in 2015.
lucky me to read this book at the end of the year,
the perfect time for me to reflect what I've done through
this one whole year.
what an eye-opening and mind blowing book.
Rainbow Rowell is on my favorite author list.